So, this might be my favorite lasagna ever. And it’s pretty healty and it’s from the The Skinnytaste Cookbook: Light on Calories, Big on Flavor
– 1 pound seasoned (recipe for seasoning here) 93% ground beef
– 1 teaspoon olive oil
– 1 yellow onion
– 3 garlic cloves
– 1 (28 ounces) can petite diced tomatoes
– Freshly ground pepper
– 3 medium zucchinis
– Cooking spray
– 1 1/2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
– 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
– 1 egg
– 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. I usually make a lot of ground beef while making tacos and I always make too much so that I can use it for other meals, such as lasagna. This is the recipe for my taco seasoning.
2. Chop the onion into small pieces.
3. Add the olive oil to a skillet, carmelize the onion and then add the ground beef, garlic and the diced tomatoes.
4. Put the meat in the skillet, add the diced tomatoes and
5. Turn the oven on at 375° F.
6. Slice the zucchinis into thin slices. I usually use a cheese slicer but you can also use a mandoline. Set the zucchini on paper towels to drain the slices.
7. Warm up a grill (if you don’t have one, you can probably do it in a skillet but don’t hold me to that. I use the George Foreman Grill. Grill them for 3-5 minutes on each side
8. Set the grilled zucchini back on paper towels to drain them further
9. Combine the ricotta, parmesan and the egg in a bowl and mix well
10.Spread a layer of the meat sauce on the bottom of a pan.
11. Layer the zucchini on top of the meat sauce.
12. Top with the ricotta mixture.
13. Add mozzarella and then repeat the layers until you’ve used all of it (save 1 cup mozzarella). Let the top layers be zucchini and then meat sauce.
14. Cover the dish with foil and set in the oven for 30 minutes.
15. Uncover the dish and add the remaining mozzarella.